Listed here are the most important details of everything you need to know for race day
Sunday, May 28th, 2023
Start and Finish in Waterfront Park area.
Race Packet Pick-Up
Bibs can be picked up at the Sport & Fitness Expo on Friday, May 26th or Saturday, May 27th.
Sport & Fitness Expo – DoubleTree by Hilton
870 Williston Road
South Burlington, Vermont 05403
Secured gear check is provided for marathoners and relay participants. Gear check will be available under a tent in Waterfront Park.
Note: Participants MUST use the clear gear check bags provided at Race Packet Pick-Up. NO OTHER BAGS will be checked, NO EXCEPTIONS.
Runners will be given a gear check sticker to place on their bag. You may also write your name and cell phone number on the bag in the space provided. Please do not leave bags of any kind unattended. Any items left unattended will be removed immediately and destroyed.
Gear check is intended for race day gear (warm-ups, post-race clothing). We promise to take good care of your possessions but urge you not to check your valuables.
Please claim your gear as soon as possible after you complete the race. At 1:30 pm unclaimed gear will be transferred to the RunVermont office (One Main Street, Suite 304, Burlington). Items not claimed in one week will be donated to charitable organizations.
Once you cross the finish line, Marathon, and 2 Person Relay runners will each receive a medal. A volunteer will hand you a bottle of water for your short walk to runner services. As you exit the finish area follow signs to the Runners’ Food Tent, Reunion Area, and Gear Check Pick-up.
3-5 Person Relay Runners will pick up their medals at the Results Tent in Waterfront Park.
When race results are official, your finisher certificates will be available to download.
INFO booths are centrally located both in Waterfront Park.
Meeting Family and Friends
Meet family and friends in the Reunion Area, located a short walk from the finish area.
Mile marker signs are positioned every mile on the course. Time clocks are positioned at the half-way mark and finish.
From salsa to classical, mambo to funk, hear great music along the marathon course.
We will have pacers on course this year for the following paces:
Runner Tracking, Progress Alerts, Instant Results, and Live Phone Tracking will be available via our Marathon App. Participants & Spectators – Download the RaceJoy App and search for Vermont City Marathon & Relay.
Everything you want to know about Runner Tracking.
Race Day and Official Results
Unofficial race-day results will be posted in the Awards and Merchandise Tent in Waterfront Park. Official results are posted to this site as soon as possible following the race.
Race Photos and Additional Coverage
You will receive an e-mail to view your complimentary photos; photos will be available as soon as possible following the race. Additionally, the Burlington Free Press offers up-to-date race coverage. Check out BFP’s photos and updates as well as their interactive database of race results.
Post Race Festivities
Thanks to our friends at Michelob Ultra, all runners can enjoy an ice cold beer after they cross the finish line. Follow the signs to the tent.
There are also several local breweries that are awesome! Foam Brewers just across from Waterfront Park usually opens their doors early. Swing by Pine Street to check out our friends Zero Gravity Brewery, Queen City Brewery, and Citizen Cider. Amazing local eats are available throughout Church Street Marketplace, the downtown area, and beyond!
The start line is located near Waterfront Park on Lake Street. Look for signs that correspond to your bib to find your staging area. Waves will stage outside the start corral when it is your time to move there.
Due to the nature of this city-wide event, there will be delays from 6:45am to 11:15am on Race Day.
The M&T Bank Vermont City Marathon & Relays will be timed using a B-Tag system. Our ability to provide accurate timing and essential medical assistance when necessary depends on YOU.
Follow these steps to help us serve you:
Your Race Bib
- Complete the emergency contact information on the back of your bib. Regardless of how physically fit you feel on race day, completing this information may save your life.
- Your B-Tag is a timing device adhered to the back of your bib.
- Pin the bib to the front of your shirt.
- Keep your bib visible at all times. Do not hide or cover your race bib.
- Do not fold, crumple or otherwise alter your bib in any way. Doing so may destroy your timing device.
- No Tag, No Time. No Exception.
- B-Tags are non-transferable.
- The B-Tag provides runners with accurate race timing. Through a computerized system, your tag transmitter will be read at the start, finish and intermediate locations. You must cross all locations to get an official time.
- You must wear the B-Tag provided in your packet. Do not trade tags or bibs with anyone. Your time corresponds to your bib number.
- All runners must be registered to participate; running under someone else’s name is grounds for disqualification according to USATF rules.
Race Day Parking
Free parking is available within a 1/4 mile of the start area. Click here for an interactive city parking map.
Please do not park in Waterfront Park, Oakledge Park, or any of the church parking lots.
Burlington by Ferry from Upstate New York
Ferry service dates change annually; please visit Lake Champlain Ferries to check ferry season dates, locations, and schedules.
Burlington International Airport (BTV)
Burlington is serviced by the Burlington International Airport located in South Burlington and just 3.6 miles from the Race Start.
Aid Stations have trained medical staff, radio operators and port-o-lets. All Aid Stations offer plain water and lemon-lime Gatorade. As of February 20, 2023, we are anticipating Gatorade Endurance Formula. Endurance Formula is a specialty product designed for endurance athletes during competition. It has nearly twice the sodium (200mg/serving) and 3x the potassium (90mg/serving) compared to the original Gatorade formula.
The Aid Station at mile 8.1/21.2 will offer food products such as bagel chunks, bananas, orange slices, pretzels (product mix varies by year) as well as energy gels. For 2023, the energy gels will be GU Roctane Ultra Endurance (Sea Salt Chocolate flavor, 35mg caffeine/packet), and GU regular (Tri-Berry flavor, 20mg caffeine/packet).
The M&T Bank Vermont City Marathon & Relays features two relay events: 2-person and 3-5 person.
Team Captains ONLY should register for the exact desired team(s). Please use a valid credit card otherwise the purchase will not be recorded.
This system will be first come, first served!
- The Team Captain (i.e. the person who registers the team) will automatically be charged the relay team fee on the credit card supplied during registration. A registration is not complete if an invalid credit card is used.
- Team Captains will receive an e-mail with a link to your team page; don’t lose this e-mail!
- At your team page, you can invite your teammates to join your team, change your team name, or change the team captain.
- Individuals that are closed out of the open registration and still wish to acquire a team are encouraged post on social media.
Note: All team member and team captain additions/changes are made on-line. Please read the Team Registration Procedures for instructions.