For over 15 years RunVermont has offered Junior Milers, a 12-week training program, for youth age 11 – 18 to participate in the relay portion of the People’s United Bank Vermont City Marathon & Relay. RunVermont partners with local youth organizations to encourage and facilitate youth to train and run the 5 person or 2 person Relay.
With the help of experienced volunteer coaches and local partners, RunVermont has created an experience for hundreds of youth and demonstrated healthy alternatives to the many obstacles that our children face today. During the program, participants learn about running and related topics such as nutrition, sports psychology, the musculoskeletal system, pedestrian safety, and internet safety.
How it Works:
- Individuals contact the Youth Director at RunVermont to express their interest in participating and registering for the Junior Milers Program.
- Participants commit to completing the entire 12-week program, along with participating in People’s United Vermont City Marathon Relay.
- Participants meet with their coaches and teams in Burlington one or two times per week (Wednesday/Saturday) and commit to training independently on their own.
- Participants are fitted for running shoes at the annual ‘Junior Milers Kick-Off Event’ at SKIRACK and get a Junior Milers Tech Shirt to wear during the People’s United Vermont City Marathon Relay.
- Participants are granted a relay slot on a Junior Milers team with the fulfillment of attending practices and volunteering at RunVermont’s Unplugged Half Marathon to help distribute water at an assigned Aid Station.