This Rookie’s Ramblings was the brain child of Elizabeth Hagwood. At the time, Elizabeth was our account manager at People Making Good. She was also about to start training for her first marathon, OUR marathon. It made so much sense…why not create a column dedicated to the trails and tribulations of a rookie training for her first 26.2 mile race? The column was an instant hit. Other runners who were training for their first race were excited to have “company,” even if it was just virtually and veteran racers were eager to offer feedback and support.
With the beginning of a standard 18-week marathon training cycle just around the corner, it’s time to choose this year’s Rookie. Thanks to Green Mountain Running Medicine Shop, this year’s Rookie will get a little extra love, too.
So, will KBVCM be YOUR first marathon? And are you willing to write a blog post once a week about your experience training? If so, we want to hear from YOU!
Here are the details:
To apply, you must:
- Be registered to run The KeyBank Vermont City Marathon.
- Be a VT resident.
- Be willing to write and upload a blog post every week from January 28 to June 3 (includes a post-race write up)on a designated day. We love humor, photos, videos, product reviews and questions. There is no word-count requirement. Posts are uploaded directly to The RunDown, where they will be edited and approved after submission; you need not maintain your own personal blog.
What the Rookie Gets:
- Free video and functional analysis by on of our physical therapists at the beginning of training to help select the correct pair of running shoes and identify any issues such as weakness or injury prior to training cycle.
- 20% off running shoes, accessories, nutrition; 30% off running apparel
- Free injury screens along the way.
- Access to Sam Davis, our in-house running coach extraordinaire, for training program, questions, workout suggestions, etc.
- The thrill of being a part of a well-read blog
- An official KeyBank Vermont City Marathon InTraining shirt (or if you already have one, a KBVCM merchandise item of similar value).
- 20% discount on all KBVCM/RunVermont merchandise
How to Enter:
- Write a sample blog post telling us why you want to be this year’s Rookie. Bonus points for including photos and or video. Don’t stress over your entry. This Rookie’s Ramblings is intended to be light and off-the cuff. We’re not writing the next War and Peace.
- Send it to: Leandre@runvermont.org by January 11, 2013.
Here’s How We’ll Choose:
- A small committee will read all the entries and choose 2-5 as finalists.
- We’ll post the finalists’ entries here on the blog and open a Facebook poll for voting beginning January 16. (Yes, you can spread the word and send all your friends to vote for you.
- The entry with the most votes on January 24 will become our Rookie and will start submitting posts the next week.
That’s it! If you’re not up for being the Rookie, but know someone who might be, please spread the word!